• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Bronchoscope Involve Brachiocephalic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraM_62607

My friend just had a bronchoscopy. I assumed they would do endotracheal but she has a bandage just under her collarbone and I am thinking, “brachiocephalic vein?” Anyone here have any insight into the patho of brachiocephalic being involved, or is it just a part of the procedure I am unaware of?

Bronchoscopy is an endoscopic technique of visualizing the inside of the airways for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. An instrument is inserted into the airways, usually through the nose or mouth, or occasionally through a tracheostomy

Well, yes, I know what a bronchoscopy is and how it is done. My question was related to the bandage located under the collarbone. She doesn't have a tracheostomy and wasn’t sent home with one, which is why I was asking about the brachiocephalic (innominate) vein or artery. Is there any reason to access those during the course of a bronchoscopy? I see there are CPT codes but wanted to understand the procedure and reason for access.

Is it related to the bronchoscopy because that is not something that is done during this procedure that I am aware of?

Perhaps there was some kind of complication or something else you are not aware of?

The risks of this procedure may include:

• Bleeding
  • Infection
  • Hole in the airway (bronchial perforation)-Tracheobronchial injury is a rare but a potentially high-impact event with significant morbidity and mortality. Common etiologies include blunt or penetrating trauma and iatrogenic injury that might occur during surgery, endotracheal intubation, or bronchoscopy.
  • Irritation of the airways (bronchospasm)
  • Irritation of the vocal cords (laryngospasm)
  • Air in the space between the lung covering (pleural space) that causes the lung to collapse (pneumothorax)

Though I am a CPC, I have avid interest in PCS coding and the “hiacode” link offers some very interesting coding pitfalls for inpatient coders. I will continue my search for an answer to the bandage—I did find a possible anesthesia injection—but the anatomy for that doesn't quite line up the with the location of the bandage. Bottom line, from my research it doesn’t sound like there is a bronchoscopy-related reason for the bandage. How I wish I could pick the mind of a pulmonologist or a coder of pulmonology.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back