• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved CPC Practical Application workbook answer clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeS_74188

On p 48 Case 9 they say report 33508 with 33511. Guidelines state "Procurement of the saphenous vein graft is included in the description of the work for 33510-33516 and should not be reported as a separate service or co-surgery."
From the workbook answer.
"The coronary artery bypass performed here involved two coronary arteries grafted with two veins. In the CPT® Index, Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)/Venous Bypass directs you to 33510–33516. Codes 33510–33516 are for venous grafting only. Code 33511 describes two venous grafts. The harvesting of the saphenous vein also must be coded. This is performed in a different area of the body, and we have the notes to describe the endoscopic method used. Look in the CPT® Index, for Bypass Graft/Harvest/Endoscopic directs you to 33508.'

Can anybody help me verify one or the other, please?

Thanks in advance, D

33508 - Endoscopy, surgical, including video-assisted harvest of vein(s) for coronary artery bypass procedure (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
bookcase-greyscale.png

CPT Code Book Guidelines:
(Use 33508 in conjunction with 33510-33523)
(For open harvest of upper extremity vein procedure, use 35500)

Thanks for the response, Darcy, for some reason I cannot settle these two in my mind. They seem contradictory to me.

Guidelines state "Procurement of the saphenous vein graft is (33508) included in the description of the work for 33510-33516 and should not be reported as a separate service or co-surgery."

33508 - Endoscopy, surgical, including video-assisted harvest of vein(s) for coronary artery bypass procedure (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

Thanks for the response, Darcy, for some reason I cannot settle these two in my mind. They seem contradictory to me.

Guidelines state "Procurement of the saphenous vein graft is (33508) included in the description of the work for 33510-33516 and should not be reported as a separate service or co-surgery."

33510-33516 includes the "open incision" procurement of the saphenous vein. If the saphenous veins are used, one or more incisions are made in the thigh or calf of one or both legs.

33508 is surgical scope - endoscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back