• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resource CPT Body Systems

where does the pancreas fall? I see a lot of conflicting info regarding the pancreas falling into either the digestive system or the endocrine system? I know its because it serves both systems? Like certain parts like islets of langerhans is within the pancreas but has an endocrine function....But going by this chart--I would say digestive. Is this correct?
***Edit*****Well, now, maybe it's the endocrine system after all---I clicked on a few other links from the above post and see it included in your endocrine system slide. I just get so confused when I see it listed in both systems in so many different places.

Last edited:
where does the pancreas fall? I see a lot of conflicting info regarding the pancreas falling into either the digestive system or the endocrine system? I know its because it serves both systems? Like certain parts like islets of langerhans is within the pancreas but has an endocrine function....But going by this chart--I would say digestive. Is this correct?
***Edit*****Well, now, maybe it's the endocrine system after all---I clicked on a few other links from the above post and see it included in your endocrine system slide. I just get so confused when I see it listed in both systems in so many different places.
In the CPT book, the pancreas’s is located in the digestive chapter! 😊. But in terms of anatomy, the pancreas is part of both the endocrine and digestive system. In the digestive system, it’s considered an accessory organ. 😊

The digestive system, which extends from the mouth to the anus, is responsible for receiving food, breaking it down into nutrients (a process called digestion), absorbing the nutrients into the bloodstream, and eliminating the indigestible parts of food from the body. The digestive tract consists of the
The digestive system also includes organs that lie outside the digestive tract:
The digestive (or gastrointestinal) system, extending from the mouth to the anus, is responsible for receiving and digesting food and excreting waste. This system includes not only the stomach, small intestine, and large intestine, which move and absorb food, but associated organs such as the pancreas, liver, and gallbladder, which produce digestive enzymes, remove toxins, and store substances necessary for digestion.

It plays a part in the endocrine system.

The endocrine system consists of various glands that produce chemical transmitters called hormones. Hormones travel to other organs through the bloodstream and regulate the function of those organs. For example, the thyroid gland produces thyroid hormone, which controls the metabolic rate (the speed at which the body's chemical functions proceed). The pancreas produces insulin, which controls the use of sugar.

Back