• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Hiv Question. Textbook Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Donna Garrett asked:

From page 163 Abstract & Code It Patient 1 Says "HIV-positive patient is experiencing noninfectious HIV-associated colitis ; ; ;" I coded B20 because it is an HIV-related illness for which medicines have been given. But the answer on page 466 coded it as Z21 asymptomatic HIV status. How can this be Z21 when the document states a "HIV positive with symptoms of colitis?" Which answer is it. Maybe this is just another one of the text book errors from it not having been carefully edited; or maybe I am wrong.

Will you please clarify? Thank you. DonnaG

Answer:

Hi Donna;

Thank you for your question. I agree with you in that the documentation linked the two conditions to one another by notating "associated". Therefore; I would code the HIV as B20. Per coding guidelines; "If a patient is admitted for an HIV-related condition; the principal diagnosis should be B20; Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease followed by additional diagnosis codes for all reported HIV-related conditions."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back