• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Hypertension Emergency, Urgency and crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

SriR_76859

Free CPC Exam
Free CRC Exam
Free ICD-10-CM Exam
Can we code hypertensive urgency, hypertensive crisis and hypertensive emergency in an outpatient setting?

A hypertensive crisis can involve hypertensive urgency or emergency.

Hypertensive Urgency
If your blood pressure is 180/120 or greater, wait about five minutes and try again. If the second reading is just as high and you are not experiencing any other associated symptoms of target organ damage such as chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain, numbness/weakness, change in vision, or difficulty speaking, this would be considered a hypertensive urgency. Your healthcare provider may just have you adjust or add medications, but rarely requires hospitalization.

ICD-10-CM diagnoses codes also distinguish between urgent (category I16.0) and emergency (I16.1) hypertension. Code I16.9 reports hypertensive crisis, unspecified, but its use should be avoided: it is better to query the provider for additional details, if necessary.

Hypertensive Emergency
If your blood pressure reading is 180/120 or greater and you are experiencing any other associated symptoms of target organ damage such as chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain, numbness/weakness, change in vision, or difficulty speaking then this would be considered a hypertensive emergency. Do not wait to see if your pressure comes down on its own, Call 9-1-1.

Hypertensive crisis

A code from category I16 (hypertensive crisis) is assigned for any documented hypertensive urgency, hypertensive emergency or unspecified hypertensive crisis. Report two codes, at a minimum, for hypertensive crisis. The crisis code is reported in addition to the underlying hypertension code (I10 to I15).1

• Hypertensive urgency: I16.0
  • Hypertensive emergency: I16.1
  • Hypertensive crisis, unspecified: I16.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back