• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Hypothyroidism & CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandiceW_62099

I’m being dinged on coding atherosclerotic heart disease of native coronary artery with other forms of angina pectoris as I25.118 instead of I25.119 & Other specified hypothyroidism as E03.8 instead of E03.9. Am I missing something?

I25.118 - Atherosclerotic heart disease of native coronary artery with other forms of angina pectoris
Excludes 1: other forms of angina pectoris without atherosclerotic heart disease (I20.8)

Coronary artery disease, also called atherosclerotic heart disease, is the result of atherosclerosis of the coronary artery(ies) leading to myocardial ischemia and infarction with resulting chest pain (angina). Unstable angina pectoris is chest pain which has recently changed in frequency, duration, intensity, or occurs at rest and could indicate that a heart attack (myocardial infarction) is imminent.

Coding Note: Use 'other' when the documentation describes a condition not otherwise described in this section. Use 'unspecified' when the documentation does not contain enough information to make a more definitive code selection.

E03.8 - Other specified hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism which is not otherwise defined in this category.

The key is to remember that to use "Other" vs "Unspecified" is that Other means that it is documented however there is not a code for it at this time. Unspecified means it was not documented.

I25.118 - Atherosclerotic heart disease of native coronary artery with other forms of angina pectoris
Excludes 1: other forms of angina pectoris without atherosclerotic heart disease (I20.8)

Coronary artery disease, also called atherosclerotic heart disease, is the result of atherosclerosis of the coronary artery(ies) leading to myocardial ischemia and infarction with resulting chest pain (angina). Unstable angina pectoris is chest pain which has recently changed in frequency, duration, intensity, or occurs at rest and could indicate that a heart attack (myocardial infarction) is imminent.

Coding Note: Use 'other' when the documentation describes a condition not otherwise described in this section. Use 'unspecified' when the documentation does not contain enough information to make a more definitive code selection.

E03.8 - Other specified hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism which is not otherwise defined in this category.

The key is to remember that to use "Other" vs "Unspecified" is that Other means that it is documented however there is not a code for it at this time. Unspecified means it was not documented.
That makes sense. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Any time. It can be frustrating sometimes when you are working in a group and getting different opinions on documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back