• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved I passed my CCS exam!

JoyW_58250

This May, I retired from teaching (31 years-last 20 at the college level), graduated with an AS in health information technology, and passed the CCA. This week, I got a coder II position at a hospital, that has outpatient clinics, and I passed the CCS today. It's been a busy summer! Pandemic or no pandemic...I kept on going. I'd like to credit this dynamic platform for the stellar preparation. I tried other sites and found them to be canned/static, narrated PowerPoints, which provided very little help, but cost a pretty penny.

I will remain a member of the CCO Club to facilitate advancing my knowledge and to keep up with this ever-changing new career. I know teaching, and this company is in the business of teaching-not just repeating information. Well done, CCO staff and interns!

Last edited:
Wow...just wow. Incredible story and I'm so excited to hear about your progress. Congratulations on accomplishing your goals and sticking to them through all the obstacles you've experienced! And thanks so much for the kind words about CCO!

Don't forget to officially let us know at http://www.cco.us/passed-the-exam/

And if you would like to help us spread the word about CCO, we would greatly appreciate it. Here is a link to leave a review for others to see:

EDIT: Looks like you already did! Thanks!

🤗This makes my day. The reason is you didn't give up. You knew what you wanted and that it would take hard work and you DID IT. Recently I have been saying we want to Encourage & Educate. Letting us know you passed and we were a part of it is wonderful news.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Congrats on passing your exam! Great work especially through all the chaos life threw your way during your studies.
CCO - PASSED.png
Since you already had your CCA did you feel you needed to get the CCS to get a job or did you just want a 2nd credential? I am just curious as I myself usually recommend students skip the CCA if they qualify to take the CCS as I do not see many employers asking for the CCA credential?

I suppose I did technically qualify to take the CCS by the coursework I had completed, but I felt I should take the CCA, since I was fresh out of school and had no coding experience, save for the courses in the associates program. I actually didn't get a certificate in coding. I have an HIT, but I knew I didn't want to go the RHIT route-I wanted to code and the facilities here, that still have on-site or their own remote coders, required CCS and only one would take people with CCA. Luckily, I did my practicum at that hospital and was able to get the job. They said they are now going to hold out for people with the higher credential. I'm glad I didn't listen to the chair of my program. She was adamant that I would easily get a coding job if I took the RHIT exam. Once I got out in the field as a practicum student, I found that was not the case in our area of Texas. Also, In our area they don't usually list CPC in job descriptions. I guess there are regional preferences, Thanks again for the help and your great responsiveness.

AHIMA's CCS & CCA are awesome credentials. You know I worry sometimes when I hear people say they are going to be able to get a job in coding with the RHIT because there is often not enough education on the codes sets. It is not a coding degree. There isn't one. They would rather see the credential.
Excited for you. Where are you at in Texas because I am here also.

I live in South Texas-McAllen. We've been in the news a lot lately; we are a COVID hot spot. I think the associates program needed bodies and it sounded plausible, until I started checking around. Our college had a coding certificate, but I already had a bachelor's, so I figured the AS was the way to go since I had so many credit hours already. However, I found out that I really loved coding, and made my plans to take the exams ASAP.

This May, I retired from teaching (31 years-last 20 at the college level), graduated with an AS in health information technology, and passed the CCA. This week, I got a coder II position at a hospital, that has outpatient clinics, and I passed the CCS today. It's been a busy summer! Pandemic or no pandemic...I kept on going. I'd like to credit this dynamic platform for the stellar preparation. I tried other sites and found them to be canned/static, narrated PowerPoints, which provided very little help, but cost a pretty penny.

I will remain a member of the CCO Club to facilitate advancing my knowledge and to keep up with this ever-changing new career. I know teaching, and this company is in the business of teaching-not just repeating information. Well done, CCO staff and interns!
That is awesome! Congrats on passing the CCS & landing the coding job!! COVID has slowed me down on going for my CCS, but I have made it a goal for next year! Hope you enjoy your new job and continued success to you!

I suppose I did technically qualify to take the CCS by the coursework I had completed, but I felt I should take the CCA, since I was fresh out of school and had no coding experience, save for the courses in the associates program. I actually didn't get a certificate in coding. I have an HIT, but I knew I didn't want to go the RHIT route-I wanted to code and the facilities here, that still have on-site or their own remote coders, required CCS and only one would take people with CCA. Luckily, I did my practicum at that hospital and was able to get the job. They said they are now going to hold out for people with the higher credential. I'm glad I didn't listen to the chair of my program. She was adamant that I would easily get a coding job if I took the RHIT exam. Once I got out in the field as a practicum student, I found that was not the case in our area of Texas. Also, In our area they don't usually list CPC in job descriptions. I guess there are regional preferences, Thanks again for the help and your great responsiveness.
Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. That is what I have seen either CCS or CPC is what everyone wants.

🤗This makes my day. The reason is you didn't give up. You knew what you wanted and that it would take hard work and you DID IT. Recently I have been saying we want to Encourage & Educate. Letting us know you passed and we were a part of it is wonderful news.
Thank you so much for sharing.
You are awesome Alicia, & I appreciate all the encouragement you give coders. It is a big help!

Wow...just wow. Incredible story and I'm so excited to hear about your progress. Congratulations on accomplishing your goals and sticking to them through all the obstacles you've experienced! And thanks so much for the kind words about CCO!

Don't forget to officially let us know at http://www.cco.us/passed-the-exam/

And if you would like to help us spread the word about CCO, we would greatly appreciate it. Here is a link to leave a review for others to see:

EDIT: Looks like you already did! Thanks!

Everyone at CCO is just awesome! Couldn't ask for a better group!

Yay! Good for you! I like your determination!

Really great testimonial Joy! - thank you. I'm glad you used your covid lock-down time to advance your career. Thanks for using CCO as one of your tools to get there!

Back