• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved I Passed My CPC Exam! (Includes Online Exam Info)

Yaaay! So I passed my CPC exam! Phew! What a relief I say.

I took my exams online. Part 1 was on Tuesday (Oct 27th) and Part 2 was Thursday (Oct 29th). I got my results today morning.

Setup:
I used the Cosco 3 step ladder to place my webcam on. See Pic below. I had to use a box for elevation.
And boy, am I glad I didn't return the 6ft long table back to the store. Came in quite handy for my exam as I had ample space to spread my books around.
Once the camera view was set up, NOT ONCE did I have to adjust anything at all. The proctors did NOT disturb me throughout the duration of the exam.

CPC-ExamSetUp.jpeg

Exam Part 1:

Proctor
: The proctor was a very nice lady. Very clear with the instructions and helpful in case you face issues with figuring the setup.

Technical Glitches: I had internet issues for Part 1. My video was hanging, the audio dropping, so I had to restart the router to correct the problem. But once I did that, I faced no other issues whatsoever.
My exam was scheduled for 1 PM but by the time we got everything sorted out, it was 2:10 PM.

Process: The proctor will first verify your ID. They will then read out the instructions to make sure you understand the guidelines for online exams. You will have to scan the room, especially the walls, floor around you and the desk. This entire process should take around 15-20 minutes if everything goes smoothly.

Exam Itself:

No: of Questions: 74

Part 1 predominantly covered 10000 series, 20000 series, 30000 series, 60000 series (Nervous System only), 90000 series (Med + E/M) and a spread of questions from Med Term, Anatomy, ICD-10 etc.
There were no HCPCS, 40000, 50000, 60000 (Eye/Auditory), 80000 questions in Part 1.
Though 70000 was not explicitly covered, since there were Cardio & 20000 questions in this Part and Cardio & 20000 involved Radiology, some 70000 series were also covered here.
I finished my exam in 2 hr 30 mins and used the remaining 15 mins to answer 1-2 questions I skipped and reviewed a few that I was doubtful of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exam Part 2:

Proctor
: This time the proctor was a male. Again, very clear with the instructions and helpful if you need assistance with setup.

Technical Glitches: None whatsoever. My exam was scheduled for 1 PM and after the initial verification formalities, was able to start the exam itself at around 1:10 PM

Process: Same as above.

Exam Itself:

Number of Questions: 76

Part 2 predominantly covered 40000 series, 50000 series, few 30000 series, 60000 series (couple from Nervous System + eye/auditory), 70000 series (as you can guess, this could involve codes from other Surgery sections as well - like 20000, 30000, 50000 etc), 80000 series, HCPCS, and a spread of questions from Med Term, Anatomy, ICD-10, guidelines, compliance etc.

This time too, I finished my exam in 2 hr 30 mins and used the remaining 15 mins to answer 1-2 I skipped and reviewed a few others that I was unsure of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure if this is the format for Part 1 and Part 2 for EVERYONE. I just shared what I got in Part 1 and Part 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXAM Level: I know many have said the CCO exams were harder than the actual exams. Maybe true to some extent. But the problem I faced was that of nerves. Every answer I chose, I doubted. While the questions may not be extremely hard, they for sure are tricky

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About CCO:

When I embarked on this journey, I was planning on doing self-study.
Boy oh boy, am I glad I joined CCO!
Thanks to all the coaches, Alicia, Jennifer, Laureen, Chandra for the wealth of information you have for us on this website. Thanks to Lori, Jesus and everyone here at CCO who respond so promptly to all our queries. You guys are all so helpful.

BHAT and Blitz are superstars. There is a reason why people rate them so highly. Can you imagine taking an exam with bare naked manuals without BHAT-ing it? Scary thought indeed! As for Blitz, there were so many pointers in there, which I incorporated in my manuals and which therefore made it easier for me to code. Eg., the Sepsis chart, the HIV/AIDS chart/decision trees, the Cancer decision trees and so many other tidbits in there. I honestly believe I would have found it difficult to pass the exam without all this help.
Thank you guys so much!

CCO Team: If I have violated any AAPC terms with any of the information I provided above, please feel free to edit my post or let me know. I DO NOT want to lose my certification. Lol!

Last but not the least, good luck to everyone else on your exams.

Last edited:

Wow on the incredible post with details! Do you mind if I sticky your thread for others to see and use the pic on our Unofficial FAQ?

I don't see any issues with the information you shared. And that pic is super-helpful!

As for passing the exam, CONGRATS!!

Don't forget to officially let us know at http://www.cco.us/passed-the-exam/

And if you would like to help us spread the word about CCO, we would greatly appreciate it. Here is a link to leave a review for others to see:

https://feedback.cco.us/

Yaaay! So I passed my CPC exam! Phew! What a relief I say.

I took my exams online. Part 1 was on Tuesday (Oct 27th) and Part 2 was Thursday (Oct 29th). I got my results today morning.

Setup:
I used the Cosco 3 step ladder to place my webcam on. See Pic below. I had to use a box for elevation.
And boy, am I glad I didn't return the 6ft long table back to the store. Came in quite handy for my exam as I had ample space to spread my books around.
Once the camera view was set up, NOT ONCE did I have to adjust anything at all. The proctors did NOT disturb me throughout the duration of the exam.

View attachment 579

Exam Part 1:

Proctor
: The proctor was a very nice lady. Very clear with the instructions and helpful in case you face issues with figuring the setup.

Technical Glitches: I had internet issues for Part 1. My video was hanging, the audio dropping, so I had to restart the router to correct the problem. But once I did that, I faced no other issues whatsoever.
My exam was scheduled for 1 PM but by the time we got everything sorted out, it was 2:10 PM.

Process: The proctor will first verify your ID. They will then read out the instructions to make sure you understand the guidelines for online exams. You will have to scan the room, especially the walls, floor around you and the desk. This entire process should take around 15-20 minutes if everything goes smoothly.

Exam Itself:

No: of Questions: 74

Part 1 predominantly covered 10000 series, 20000 series, 30000 series, 60000 series (Nervous System only), 90000 series (Med + E/M) and a spread of questions from Med Term, Anatomy, ICD-10 etc.
There were no HCPCS, 40000, 50000, 60000 (Eye/Auditory), 80000 questions in Part 1.
Though 70000 was not explicitly covered, since there were Cardio & 20000 questions in this Part and Cardio & 20000 involved Radiology, some 70000 series were also covered here.
I finished my exam in 2 hr 30 mins and used the remaining 15 mins to answer 1-2 questions I skipped and reviewed a few that I was doubtful of.

Exam Part 2:

Proctor
: This time the proctor was a male. Again, very clear with the instructions and helpful if you need assistance with setup.

Technical Glitches: None whatsoever. My exam was scheduled for 1 PM and after the initial verification formalities, was able to start the exam itself at around 1:10 PM

Process: Same as above.

Exam Itself:

Number of Questions: 76

Part 2 predominantly covered 40000 series, 50000 series, few 30000 series, 60000 series (couple from Nervous System + eye/auditory), 70000 series (as you can guess, this could involve codes from other Surgery sections as well - like 20000, 30000, 50000 etc), 80000 series, HCPCS, and a spread of questions from Med Term, Anatomy, ICD-10, guidelines, compliance etc.

This time too, I finished my exam in 2 hr 30 mins and used the remaining 15 mins to answer 1-2 I skipped and reviewed a few others that I was unsure of.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure if this is the format for Part 1 and Part 2 for EVERYONE. I just shared what I got in Part 1 and Part 2

EXAM Level: I know many have said the CCO exams were harder than the actual exams. Maybe true to some extent. But the problem I faced was that of nerves. Every answer I chose, I doubted. While the questions may not be extremely hard, they for sure are tricky

About CCO:

When I embarked on this journey, I was planning on doing self-study.
Boy oh boy, am I glad I joined CCO!
Thanks to all the coaches, Alicia, Jennifer, Laureen, Chandra for the wealth of information you have for us on this website. Thanks to Lori, Jesus and everyone here at CCO who respond so promptly to all our queries. You guys are all so helpful.

BHAT and Blitz are superstars. There is a reason why people rate them so highly. Can you imagine taking an exam with bare naked manuals without BHAT-ing it? Scary thought indeed! As for Blitz, there were so many pointers in there, which I incorporated in my manuals and which therefore made it easier for me to code. Eg., the Sepsis chart, the HIV/AIDS chart/decision trees, the Cancer decision trees and so many other tidbits in there. I honestly believe I would have found it difficult to pass the exam without all this help.
Thank you guys so much!

CCO Team: If I have violated any AAPC terms with any of the information I provided above, please feel free to edit my post or let me know. I DO NOT want to lose my certification. Lol!

Last but not the least, good luck to everyone else on your exams.
Great job Uma! Thanks for sharing all the info & a pic of the set-up. I like the set-up.

Thank you so much for helping us understand what it is like to experience the online exam experience. What a great service you re providing to your fellow exam takers!

Congratulations on your new hard-won credential! May you have a hugely successful career!

How did you time yourself? By that, I guess, how did you pace yourself and do the art of skipping without a scantron? I hope I am being clear.

Thank you so much for helping us understand what it is like to experience the online exam experience. What a great service you re providing to your fellow exam takers!

Congratulations on your new hard-won credential! May you have a hugely successful career!
Thank you so much! Thank you and everyone at CCO for all your help.

How did you time yourself? By that, I guess, how did you pace yourself and do the art of skipping without a scantron? I hope I am being clear.
You can still follow through the same steps, just that you will use your white board instead of paper. I used the dry erase board to note down the questions I was unsure of or didn't know the answers to and put either a single dot or a double dot for each category. Towards the end, I went back to those questions again.

Thanks for sharing i was scheduled to take my exam in October but due to Covid they rescheduled it for next month. I'm so overwhelmed and nervous. I chose the in person exam I could not afford to purchase a computer with the webcam. I have a computer but my webcam doesn't work and our instructors told us if you don't pass the in person exam you can retake it without having to pay to another fee. Im praying I pass:)

Thanks for sharing i was scheduled to take my exam in October but due to Covid they rescheduled it for next month. I'm so overwhelmed and nervous. I chose the in person exam I could not afford to purchase a computer with the webcam. I have a computer but my webcam doesn't work and our instructors told us if you don't pass the in person exam you can retake it without having to pay to another fee. Im praying I pass:)
Good luck Vivian!

Thats awesome Congrats!
Thanks so much for sharing such details as I am sure many will benefit from your experience.

HD_UMA.jpg

Congratulations! Would you mind telling me where did you purchase the camera equipment for the proctor to look at you? Thanks

Uma, I've heard there is a timer and also the ability to jump directly to question numbers. Is the blue box in the video below what you experienced?

original_take_test.png

student_tests_surveys_timer.png

Last edited:
Back