• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resource Medical Coding Manuals

Since the code sets for each coding book are updated every year, it’s essential for coders to have the current year’s books/manuals to ensure accurate performance. Reporting wrong codes can lead to denied claim submissions and substantial penalization. It’s clearly very important to get an education on the annual code set updates and to obtain new code books every year.

When do new versions of Manuals come out?

ICD changes yearly on Oct 1st and new ICD-10 manuals are available 1-2 months ahead of that date.
CPT & HCPCS don’t change until Jan 1st, so you will start seeing those being advertised around mid-October and November each year.

What Is BHAT®?​

bhat
BHAT®
(pronounced ‘bat’) stands for “Bubble, Highlight and Annotate Technique“. This is a proprietary system, which is used in connection with our educational services, created by Laureen Jandroep in 1999 that uses bubbling, highlighting and annotation techniques to help students quickly find key answers in their manuals during the open book CPC® exams.
Instead of flipping back and forth between pages where the guidelines are, the answers are right next to the codes when a student takes the board exam. Students have stated the BHAT® system gave them the confidence they needed to pass the exam. Another plus: the BHAT® system helps coders in their day to day coding work after the exam as well!

Make sure you add these new ICD-10-CM codes for 2021.
2021 new ICD codes.png

Which Vendor do I use if I'm testing with the AAPC?

If you’re testing for the AAPC exam, you will need the AMA CPT Version during testing. They will not allow any other vendor. Only Professional no Expert.
Regarding ICD and HCPCS, the AAPC allows any vendor manual during testing.

What year’s books should I use?

Since the code sets for each coding book are updated every year, it’s essential for coders to have the current year’s books/manuals to ensure accurate performance. Reporting wrong codes can lead to denied claim submissions and substantial penalization. It’s clearly very important to get an education on the annual code set updates and to obtain new code books every year.
All AAPC exams are based on the current calendar year’s code sets, so we strongly suggest you use the current year’s books. The previous calendar year’s books may be used on an exam, but you would be at obvious disadvantage doing so. The upcoming year’s books are not allowed for exam use. The exams are updated every January for the new code sets. Examinees using their second attempt in the next calendar year will not be permitted to take the previous year's exam.

What is allowed in our books?

Handwritten notes are acceptable in the coding books only if they pertain to daily coding activities. Questions from the Study Guides, Practice Exams or the Exam itself are prohibited. Tabs may be inserted, taped, pasted, glued, or stapled in the manuals so long as the obvious intent of the tab is to earmark a page with words or numbers, not supplement information in the book. Altering, whiting out, painting, or printing over any pages within the code books (e.g., marketing pages, table of contents, reference pages, etc.) to supplement information is prohibited.
No materials (other than tab dividers) may be inserted, taped, pasted, glued, or stapled in the manuals.

I purchased all my books with the 2020 version but was unable to take the test in 2020 due to LIFE. Can I just get the updates for 2021 or do I have to spend another $500 on 2021 books?

We do not recommend old manuals for any exams.

The reasons why are:

AAPC says:

What year’s books should I use?

All AAPC exams are based on the current calendar year’s code sets, so we strongly suggest you use the current year’s books. The previous calendar year’s books may be used on an exam, but you would be at an obvious disadvantage doing so. The upcoming year’s books are not allowed for exam use. The exams are updated every January for the new code sets. Examinees using their second attempt in the next calendar year will not be permitted to take the previous year's exam.

As you may have heard, 2021 will be a year of change with the new E/M changes that are expected. In order to prepare you for the upcoming 2021 E/M Changes, we have made 2 of our E/M 2021 Q&A Webinars available to all students. Click Here to Access the Presentations in the Student Q&A Webinar area.

In addition, here are various resources about 2021 E/M Changes:

Changes to CPT® for 2021 include:

• 329 editorial changes
  • 206 new codes;
  • 69 revised code descriptors; and
  • 54 deleted codes.

This is our Annual 2021 CPT Updates Webinar. CCO Club members are welcome to attend and ask questions at the end of the event.

Recordings and transcripts will be available in the CCO Club in a few weeks. There are no Live or Replay CEUs available for this event. Handouts are also not available.

Date: Tuesday, December 29th, 2020
Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00PM Eastern (Timezone Converter Link)
Presenter: Alicia Scott

Make sure your diagnosis coding is up to date by reviewing
this chapter-by-chapter summary of the changes effective October 1.​

Back