• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Question Regarding E/M Charges For Nurse Visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Kimberly Pressley asked:

I just have a quick question regarding which E/M charge is acceptable for a nurse visit (i.e. medication administration/education). I was under the impression that a nurse visit could only be charged to a level 1 E/M (99211) no matter what was done. However; I have been told that if the nurse is following a plan of care established by a doctor that the E/M can be any level; is this correct and if so where are the guidelines; as I can only find guidelines regarding provider documentation (CC/PE/MDM); which a nurse cannot compliantly do?

Thanks in advance :)

Kim

Answer:

Key word here is nurse. Is he or she a nurse practitioner or RN? If a patient is only coming in for an injection; medication administration you just bill the administration code such as 96372 for an injection. (no matter who performs the service) If the nurse is an RN; you cannot bill higher than a level 1. You do not bill a level 1 with a medication administration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back