• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Schizoaffective disorder with bipolar and major depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyV_22433

Provider states patient with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depression, mild, recurrent in the patient assessment, what is the correct coding? Is it F25.0 and F25.1, or F25.0 and F33.0?

Thank you for your response Lori, however this video doesn't address the scenario posted. The physician diagnosed the patient with the following disorders, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and major depression, mild, recurrent. I would code this as F25.0 and F25.1, would this be correct?

I agree with you. You can't Major depression with Bipolar Disorder; because Bipolar is a type of depression. However, F25.0 and F25.1 are the same HCC (#57) on the mid-year list from HHS. So, I guess you could code both of them but they are same in terms of HCC's.

You can use F25.0 because it inclused "Mixed Type". But that also means you have to code Bipolar & MDD as well.
Schizoaffective disorder is indicated when the patient has symptoms of both schizophrenia and a mood disorder – but does not strictly meet diagnostic criteria for either alone. Typically, symptoms occur during the same episode (or at least within a few days of each other) and cannot be attributed to a substance (drug) or another medical condition. Specify the type of mood disorder (i.e., bipolar, depressive, other, unspecified) for final code selection.

So what would you code for bipolar? the unspecified? And what would you code for the depression? I'm interested in knowing the correct coding for this. Thank you.

F25.0 - Schizoaffective disorder, mixed type
F33.0 - Major depressive disorder, recurrent, mild
F31.9 - Bipolar disorder, unspecified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back