• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Separate Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalliP_67450

I was wondering if someone could explain the separate procedure meaning and when we code it with another procedure and when we don't or even if someone has a video on it. From what I am understanding, a separate procedure is one that can only be done alone per CPT guidelines. However, if they are not done alone and done in a combination with another procedure, I have read you can add modifier -59?
Thanks!

CPT “Separate procedure” definition: The narrative for many HCPCS/CPT codes includes a parenthetical statement that the procedure represents a "separate procedure". The inclusion of this statement indicates that the procedure can be performed separately but should not be reported when a related service is performed.

6. CPT “Separate procedure” definition: The narrative for many HCPCS/CPT codes includes a parenthetical statement that the procedure represents a "separate procedure". The inclusion of this statement indicates that the procedure can be performed separately but should not be reported when a related service is performed. A “separate procedure” should not be reported when performed along with another procedure in an anatomically related region through the same skin incision or orifice, or surgical approach. HCPCS/CPT code____ (the column two HCPCS/CPT code) is designated as a "separate procedure". Therefore, if it is reported with HCPCS/CPT code______ (the column one HCPCS/CPT code), HCPCS/CPT code (the column two HCPCS/CPT code)

CPT “Separate procedure” definition: The narrative for many HCPCS/CPT codes includes a parenthetical statement that the procedure represents a "separate procedure". The inclusion of this statement indicates that the procedure can be performed separately but should not be reported when a related service is performed.

6. CPT “Separate procedure” definition: The narrative for many HCPCS/CPT codes includes a parenthetical statement that the procedure represents a "separate procedure". The inclusion of this statement indicates that the procedure can be performed separately but should not be reported when a related service is performed. A “separate procedure” should not be reported when performed along with another procedure in an anatomically related region through the same skin incision or orifice, or surgical approach. HCPCS/CPT code____ (the column two HCPCS/CPT code) is designated as a "separate procedure". Therefore, if it is reported with HCPCS/CPT code______ (the column one HCPCS/CPT code), HCPCS/CPT code (the column two HCPCS/CPT code)

Thank you! I will watch those videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back