• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved 15 Signs Medical Coding May Not Be Right for You

Alicia

Director of Education
Staff member
A LinkedIn connection graciously allowed me to share her insights, and they are truly exceptional. The brilliance in her perspective stems from addressing the varied narratives—both positive and negative—surrounding medical coding as a career. Our commitment is to provide transparent and truthful information about this career path while conveying our genuine passion for the medical field. I encourage you to invest a moment to absorb Revka's thoughts:

15 Signs Medical Coding May Not Be Right for You

I'm an optimist by nature and prefer to focus on positives because I've learned what I focus on is what I see.

I've also learned that refusing to see or acknowledge negatives is dangerous.

Balance is necessary.

When I post, my goal is to help and encourage medical coding students and new medical coders. This post isn't encouraging and probably won't make you feel good, but it is intended to be helpful nonetheless.

I'm part of multiple medical coding groups geared toward people starting their journey. There I see post after post expressing discouragement, disillusionment, and cynicism toward medical coding education, certifications, and organizations as well as toward the career itself. Typically, the poster's words reveal their motivations for and expectations when choosing this field, and those reasons and expectations have set them up for disappointment and failure.

Medical coding IS NOT for everyone.

That's not sunshine and rainbows. It is reality, and it is evident many people need to hear this. It's much better to find out medical coding isn't for you BEFORE you have invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time.

Without further ado, here is what the title promised: 15 signs medical coding may not be the right career for you.

❌ You expect medical coding to be an easy, cushy job.
❌ You expect to make great wages from the beginning.*
❌ You want to be a medical coder ONLY so you can work remotely.
❌ You are looking for a job you can do while taking care of others.
❌ You ask people for answers to questions you can google yourself.
❌ You have not researched what entering and remaining in this field entails.
❌ You focus on price and length of time when choosing a medical coding course.
❌ You think self-studying is sufficient education to build a medical coding career.*
❌ You think passing the multiple choice CPC exam shows employers you can code.
❌ You expect to learn everything necessary to become a medical coder (not just pass the CPC exam) in a few days or weeks.
❌ You are easily discouraged.
❌ You expect to land your first medical coding job easily and quickly.*
❌ You aren't willing to accept correction or being told your work is wrong.
❌ You're okay cutting corners and sacrificing accuracy to complete your work.
❌ You aren't willing to invest your own money in continuing education, membership fees, and recertification fees.

* not impossible but highly unlikely, especially if you have no medical or healthcare background

If one or more of these red flags apply to you, please take a long, hard look at your reasons for pursuing a medical coding career. Your best chance of success comes from proper motivations, expectations, training, and goals.

I want you to succeed, even if that means choosing a different field.

Did I miss any red flags? Share in the comments below.

If you would like to see her post on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/revka/

A LinkedIn connection graciously allowed me to share her insights, and they are truly exceptional. The brilliance in her perspective stems from addressing the varied narratives—both positive and negative—surrounding medical coding as a career. Our commitment is to provide transparent and truthful information about this career path while conveying our genuine passion for the medical field. I encourage you to invest a moment to absorb Revka's thoughts:

15 Signs Medical Coding May Not Be Right for You

I'm an optimist by nature and prefer to focus on positives because I've learned what I focus on is what I see.

I've also learned that refusing to see or acknowledge negatives is dangerous.

Balance is necessary.

When I post, my goal is to help and encourage medical coding students and new medical coders. This post isn't encouraging and probably won't make you feel good, but it is intended to be helpful nonetheless.

I'm part of multiple medical coding groups geared toward people starting their journey. There I see post after post expressing discouragement, disillusionment, and cynicism toward medical coding education, certifications, and organizations as well as toward the career itself. Typically, the poster's words reveal their motivations for and expectations when choosing this field, and those reasons and expectations have set them up for disappointment and failure.

Medical coding IS NOT for everyone.

That's not sunshine and rainbows. It is reality, and it is evident many people need to hear this. It's much better to find out medical coding isn't for you BEFORE you have invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time.

Without further ado, here is what the title promised: 15 signs medical coding may not be the right career for you.

❌ You expect medical coding to be an easy, cushy job.
❌ You expect to make great wages from the beginning.*
❌ You want to be a medical coder ONLY so you can work remotely.
❌ You are looking for a job you can do while taking care of others.
❌ You ask people for answers to questions you can google yourself.
❌ You have not researched what entering and remaining in this field entails.
❌ You focus on price and length of time when choosing a medical coding course.
❌ You think self-studying is sufficient education to build a medical coding career.*
❌ You think passing the multiple choice CPC exam shows employers you can code.
❌ You expect to learn everything necessary to become a medical coder (not just pass the CPC exam) in a few days or weeks.
❌ You are easily discouraged.
❌ You expect to land your first medical coding job easily and quickly.*
❌ You aren't willing to accept correction or being told your work is wrong.
❌ You're okay cutting corners and sacrificing accuracy to complete your work.
❌ You aren't willing to invest your own money in continuing education, membership fees, and recertification fees.

* not impossible but highly unlikely, especially if you have no medical or healthcare background

If one or more of these red flags apply to you, please take a long, hard look at your reasons for pursuing a medical coding career. Your best chance of success comes from proper motivations, expectations, training, and goals.

I want you to succeed, even if that means choosing a different field.

Did I miss any red flags? Share in the comments below.

If you would like to see her post on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/revka/
You aren't willing to take care of any coding related issues, but instead you just send it out as is, knowing someone else will have to handle it when it comes back. That's not being a very good team player.

Nailed it Angela! Another sign. I have seen this so many times. Job security: Learn to handle all issues that cross your desk.

Back