• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved CMS Claims 1500 Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoniqueS_64986

Hello:
Can someone explain Block 24E, Diagnosis pointer and how relate to Block 21A-L and how to identify them for Block 24E.

Thank you,

for each line item (CPT) to show medical necessity - you choose the correct corresponding dx and type in the letter

The diagnosis pointers are located in box 24E on the paper claim form for each CPT code billed. The line identifiers from Box 21 (A-L) should be related to the lines of service in 24E by the letter of the line.

for each line item (CPT) to show medical necessity - you choose the correct corresponding dx and type in the letter

The diagnosis pointers are located in box 24E on the paper claim form for each CPT code billed. The line identifiers from Box 21 (A-L) should be related to the lines of service in 24E by the letter of the line.
How do you know which icd 10 codes link to which cpt codes? Do you need to look them up in the manuals to determine which links to the other?

Yes, I understand the boxes. My question is how do you know which icd 10 codes link to which cpt codes to place the letters in box 24E, when there are multiple cpt codes and ind 10 codes. Do you need to look them up in the manuals to determine which links to the other?

The CPT manual does not tell you which diagnosis goes with which procedure but maybe I can clarify a bit.

You may need to look up code descriptions in your CPT if you do not know what the procedures are or what diagnosis is appropriate to link.

I have a CMDT which can be helpful.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 8.33.57 AM.png

24E Required Diagnosis Pointer - Enter the diagnosis code number from box 21 that applies to the procedure code indicated in 24D.

Item 24E - This is a required field.
Enter the diagnosis code reference number or letter (as appropriate, per form version) as shown in item 21 to relate the date of service and the procedures performed to the primary diagnosis.
Enter only one reference number/letter per line item. When multiple services are performed, enter the primary reference number/letter for each service.
When using form version 02/12, the reference to supply in 24E will be a letter from A-L.

If a situation arises where two or more diagnoses are required for a procedure code (e.g.,
pap smears), the provider shall reference only one of the diagnoses in item 21.

24a From Dates of service Required Enter “From” and “To” dates of service in MMDDYY or MMDDCCYY format. Line fields can include no more than two dates of service for the same procedure code. Grouping is allowed only for services on consecutive days. The number of days must correspond to the number of units in 24g.

The diagnosis “pointers” connect the medical diagnosis made by the provider to each CPT® code that is billed. When a CPT code is billed, the provider must connect or “point” the diagnosis to each procedure performed to treat the specific diagnosis, so at least one pointer per CPT code is required and the total number of diagnosis pointers per CPT code are limited to four (4). This means if a provider has more than 4 diagnosis codes for one CPT billed (i.e., procedure or treatment performed), the provider must select only four (4) diagnoses to relate to each such CPT.

In general, this means that the provider should identify the four most important or serious conditions or diagnoses that a procedure is intended to treat, which should be listed in order of severity and specifically related to the procedure code they are pointed to.

Total diagnoses and diagnosis pointers are recorded differently on the claim form. Specifically, diagnosis codes are found in box 21 A-L on the claim form and should be entered using ICD-10-CM codes. The total number of diagnoses that can be listed on a single claim are twelve (12). The diagnosis pointers are located in box 24E on the paper claim form for each CPT code billed. The line identifiers from Box 21 (A-L) should be related to the lines of service in 24E by the letter of the line.

Diagnosis pointers are represented as letters A-L. The diagnosis pointer(s) entered into field 24E of each line item show what diagnosis code(s) entered into field 21 that the service (CPT or HCPCS code) relates to.

Yes, I understand the boxes. My question is how do you know which icd 10 codes link to which cpt codes to place the letters in box 24E, when there are multiple cpt codes and ind 10 codes. Do you need to look them up in the manuals to determine which links to the other?
Knowledge of the procedure purpose and why the procedure was done = diagnosis
If CPT code is for chest xray then there needs to be a diagnosis documented "why" ; SOB, wheezing, cough, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back