• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Freelance Coder vs In-house Coder

PenielisW_89255

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
Free COC Exam
Here’s a draft for your public forum post:

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about the pros and cons of freelance coding compared to in-house coding positions. For those of you who have experience in both, what do you find are the main differences in terms of work-life balance, pay, job stability, and personal growth?

Also, for those of you who are freelancers, how do you usually go about finding clients and securing contracts? Any advice for someone considering the switch to freelance coding would be appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing your insights!

Thanks!

There are pros and cons to both inhouse and contract work. If you are wanting to do more contract work it is best to get started with a recuriter. That way they find you the contracts. Often after working a contract for them you might be offered a position with the company you were contracted to work within. It is not as easy to work with a recruiter when you are new. They are paid to find the best people for the job. In addition if you work with a contracting company like Addision Group they are taking a commission. I have worked for them several times picking up contracts when I needed a little extra money.

A recruiter is someone who is like a real estate agent out to help you find a job. You don't pay them but the people who hire you do.

The advantage of working in house doesn't mean you have to work in an office anymore. Often they will have you come in once a week or for meetings. If anything came out of the pandemic it is that remote work is an every day way of life for coders now. When you work in house you have support and honestly, excercise. I know that seems odd to mention but remote work can make you fat and unhealthy if you let it. When you work outside the house you make connections and get up and move more.

Back