• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Oncology Sequencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Alicia Scott asked:

Sarah wrote to me and asked me a few questions. They were really great questions so I asked if I could share them here for others insight. I will add my responses as well. Looking forward to others input.

Hi Alicia;

My name is Sarah and I am an Oncology Coder for Wentworth Douglass Hospital; in Dover; NH and I first wanted to tell you that your article in the AAPC magazine was good. It verified a lot of things that go through my head on a daily basis with coding Oncology. Im constantly second guessing myself because every coder can interpret a note differently especially with oncology.

I do have some questions that I hope you are willing to help clarify for me.

In regards to your article and coding a metastatic sight; say a patient has endometrial cancer and has gone through treatment (chemo/radiation) and had a TAH and BSO back in 2015. Now the patient returns with confirmed mets to the inguinal nodes; confirming recurrence of the endometrial cancer. This would be coded now as C54.1 and C77.4; correct?

One of the keys clues that I look at is the type of chemo the patient is receiving and what its geared towards in treating. My other thought is say a patient has right sided breast cancer. Shes had chemo/radiation/right mastectomy. Two years later the patient finds out she now has mets to the bone and they have put the patient on Faslodex and Xgeva. Because the Faslodex treats breast cancer we would now code this as active C50.911 and the bone mets C79.51. Correct?

By chance do you know anything about Clinical Trials; coding them from a pro-fee perspective?

My question is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back