• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding Re: Ascites/Esld

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Donna Garrett asked:

On page 179 of text in Abstract & Code I; patient 2. Ascites secondary to ESLD; secondary to alcholic hepatitis (K70.4 per answer sheet) with chronic hep C.

Alpha Index Hepatitis chronic; due to ethanol - see Hep alc which shows K70.11 alcoholic with ascities. But answer page 468 indicates not to code for ascities because it sometimes occurs with hepatitis and also no treatment was documented. No treatment was documented for the alcoholic hepatitis with chronic hep C but it was coded.

Document says ESLD which should be K72.9 but answer page did not give this code. Alpha Index Failure -hepatic; alcoholic F70.4 so I know I have to use that. But the document says END STAGE and F70.4 says failure but not END STAGE.

Will you pleas try to clarify this for me.

And I have seen your other answers to my questions and I want to send a note back saying thank you but cannot figure out how to do that.

Thanks; DonnaG

Answer:

Hi Donna;

Thank you for your question. I am happy to have assisted you with your other questions. I will say this; I am in complete agreement with you. The way the questions are written; I would assume that each condition is being monitored; evaluated; assessed; or treated. If that last sentence of the answer was correct; then we would not be able to code anything; as treatment was not documented for any of the conditions. Additionally; ascites usually indicate advanced alcoholic hepatitis or cirrhosis so it would be incorrect to say it favors one over another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back