• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding Text - Question About Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Donna Garrett asked:

Page 181 Abstract & Code It; Patient 2. Narrative mentions major depression recurrent so I chose F33.9 unspecified. Answer on page coded F33.0 mild. Nowhere in the document did it mention mild with reference to depression. I went back to the previous chapters about mental health; depression; looking for maybe "mild" is a default; but nothing was mentioned about that.

What is the correct code? If it is F33.0 or F33.1; etc.; how am I to know to code that rather than F33.9 unspecified when the document did not specify?

Thanks; DonnaG

Answer:

Hi Donna;

Again; thank you for posting your questions in the forum. If you could; please post these questions in the RA SSH so that others in the class can review them. In regards to your question; you are correct. There is not a default for recurrent depression nor is there a Coding Clinic indicating that it is to be coded that way. Therefore; please use the appropriate code (F33.9) due the clarity in the documentation.

Answer #2:

F33.0 - Major depressive disorder; recurrent; mildToggle Dictionary Definitions
ICD-9: 296.31
F33
Includes: recurrent episodes of depressive reaction
recurrent episodes of endogenous depression
recurrent episodes of major depression
recurrent episodes of psychogenic depression
recurrent episodes of reactive depression
recurrent episodes of seasonal depressive disorder
recurrent episodes of vital depression
Excludes1: bipolar disorder (F31.-)
manic episode (F30.-)
F01-F99
Includes: disorders of psychological development
Excludes2: symptoms; signs and abnormal clinical laboratory findings; not elsewhere classified (R00-R99)
BHAT

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back