• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Trick To Looking Up Encounter Codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Christy Williams asked:

I seem to struggle with looking up Z codes. In an example where the answer is given: Encounter for fitting and adjustment of dialysis catheter Z49.02. I cannot find this in the index under Encounter; Fitting or Aftercare or Dialysis. I finally found it in the guidelines listed with all the Aftercare codes. There have been a few of these Z codes where given the answer in an example; I cannot reproduce the answer myself by looking in the index. Is there another way to look for these codes when they are not found in the index under obvious headings? Also; In this example; the patient was to begin dialysis at the same time as the placement- so how is it an aftercare code? I feel like I am missing something with these codes; any tricks would be helpful!

Answer:

Chad Kraemer; CPC; CDEO; CPMA wrote" @Christy Williams. I agree the encounter codes are tricky to locate. Honestly; the z-codes in general.

I use a good deal of z codes in my current role. I actually went through; and tab different sections within the z section. For instance; Z88.- are the codes used when a patient are allergic to certain types of Medicines like allergy to narcotics. I tab this page with label of allergies.

Another suggestion you can also on a blank page create an index with the code range and page number. Customize the index to items that you think would need to reference most. I did this and found it extremely helpful.

There are some great informational codes back there but can be challenging to locate in the index.

Hopefully; someone can offer an easier process.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back