• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Vaping

ICD-10-CM vaping coding guidance

• Documented e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury. Assign a code for the specific condition, such as J68.0, Bronchitis and pneumonitis due to chemicals, gases, fumes and vapors, includes chemical pneumonitis; J69.1, Pneumonitis due to inhalation of oils and essences, includes lipoid pneumonia; J80, Acute respiratory distress syndrome; J82, Pulmonary eosinophilia, not elsewhere classified; J84.114, Acute interstitial pneumonitis; J84.89, Other specified interstitial pulmonary disease.

• Acute lung injury but without further documentation identifying a specific condition. Assign code J68.9, Unspecified respiratory condition due to chemicals, gases, fumes, and vapors.

• Acute nicotine exposure and/or acute tetrahydrocannabinol toxicity. Assign code T65.291-, Toxic effect of other nicotine and tobacco, accidental (unintentional), includes toxic effect of other tobacco and nicotine NOS, or assign code T40.7X1-, Poisoning by cannabis (derivatives), accidental (unintentional).

Thanks for sharing this guidance. Just to clarify, for cases where vaping causes lung injury but the specific condition isn’t identified, should we default to J68.9, or is there additional documentation needed? Thx.

You are correct. Here is an article from Find-A-Code, 2019 December 19:

E-cigarette / Vaping Associated Lung Injury (EVALI)​

For patients documented with electronic cigarette (e-cigarette), or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI), assign the code for the specific condition, such as:
  • J68.0, Bronchitis and pneumonitis due to chemicals, gases, fumes and vapors; includes chemical pneumonitis
  • J69.1, Pneumonitis due to inhalation of oils and essences; includes lipoid pneumonia
  • J80, Acute respiratory distress syndrome
  • J82, Pulmonary eosinophilia, not elsewhere classified
  • J84.114, Acute interstitial pneumonitis
  • J84.89, Other specified interstitial pulmonary disease
For patients with acute lung injury but without further documentation identifying a specific condition (pneumonitis, bronchitis), assign code:
  • J68.9, Unspecified respiratory condition due to chemicals, gases, fumes, and vapors

I fully understand the damage smoking and vaping can cause, and I'm aware of the risks involved. However, quitting is incredibly challenging, especially with depression and ADHD. I’m currently using Spaceman Prism 20000 and find it hard to break the habit. This feels overwhelming at times, but I know I'll be better one day.

Last edited:
The challenge is real. One of the amazing things about the code set is it allows us to track what works for patients and doesn't.

Back